In revisiting the blog I decided I want to start getting a little more editorial and a little more personal. I love exploring the discographies of bands and labels I find to be criminally underrated but I want to start to branch out. I decided to start by posting some lists. I love making lists of favorites because of the challenge. It's hard to pick favorites but it's also fun and I think you can learn a lot about someone by what they love enough to call their favorite.
I also thought that this would be a good way to get some discussion going (if anyone is actually reading this).
So, for the first list I have compiled a list of my ten favorite long songs. There are two criteria for this list: the song has to be over 15 minutes long and it has to be a studio track. I've always loved long, epic songs. It takes a lot of talent to record a song this long and keep it interesting the whole way through.
The list is laid out like this:
Band- Song Title [Album Title, Year, Length]
10. Kyuss- Odyssey/Conan Troutman/N.O./Whitewater [Welcome to Sky Valley, 1994, 18:19]
9. The Cure- Carnage Visor: The Soundtrack [Faith, 1981, 27:51]
8. Hawkwind- You Shouldn't Do That [In Search of Space, 1971, 15:42]
7. Yes- Ritual (Nous Sommes Du Soleil) [Tales from Topographic Oceans, 1973, 21:34]
6. Pink Floyd- Atom Heart Mother Suite [Atom Heart Mother, 1970, 23:44]
5. Frank Zappa- Big Swifty [Waka/Jawaka, 1972, 17:22]
4. Count Ossie and the Mystic Revelation of Rastafari- Grounation [Grounation, 1973, 29:50]
3. The Velvet Underground- Sister Ray [White Light/White Heat, 1968, 17:31]
2. Rush- 2112 [2112, 1976, 20:33]
1. Monster Magnet- Tab... [25......Tab, 1991, 32:15]